28-3053. School bus advisory council; council termination
A. The school bus advisory council is established consisting of nine members appointed by the governor. The governor shall appoint the members as follows:
1. One member representing the department of public safety.
2. One member representing the state board of education.
3. One member from a school district with a student count of less than six hundred.
4. One member from a school district with a student count of six hundred or more but less than three thousand.
5. One member from a school district with a student count of three thousand or more but less than ten thousand.
6. One member from a school district with a student count of ten thousand or more.
7. One member representing transportation administrators.
8. One member who is a certified school bus driver or school bus driver instructor.
9. One member representing a private sector school bus service provider.
B. The members shall serve staggered three-year terms unless a member vacates the position. Appointment to fill a vacancy resulting other than from expiration of a term is for the unexpired portion of the term only.
C. The school bus advisory council shall:
1. Meet at least annually.
2. Select a chairman from its members.
3. Advise and assist the department of public safety in developing the rules required by sections 28-900 and 28-3228.
4. Recommend curricula for school bus driver safety and training courses required by section 28-3228.
5. Advise and consult with the department of public safety concerning matters related to the certification of school bus drivers and the safety of school buses.
6. Establish a mailing list that includes any party expressing an interest in the council's activities. The council shall provide written notice to each person on the list at least fifteen days before the date on which the meeting is to be held. The notice shall be sent by mail or electronic means to the party's last address of record with the council or by any other method reasonably calculated to effect actual notice to any party expressing interest in the council's activities. Written notice by electronic means is effective when transmitted. For other methods written notice is effective on receipt or five days after the date shown on the postmark stamped on the envelope, whichever is earlier.
D. Members of the school bus advisory council are not eligible to receive compensation or reimbursement for expenses.
E. The council established by this section ends on July 1, 2024 pursuant to section 41-3103.